Electrical safety is essential to living safely in your home.  Electrical structure fires are the third cause of fires in the United States.  Safety means having a highly trained, licensed, and experienced technicians working in your home and recognizing when an emergency is occurring.

Non-emergency Services

Residential and commercial properties require a wide variety of electrical services.  Residential and commercial properties require a wide variety of electrical services.  High bills may be the first indication of a problem in the electrical system or outdated appliances are drawing too much current.  Upgrading the electrical system should be done by a licensed, insured professional electrician.  Whenever renovations are done to the property small, outdated panels and old wiring should be replaced.  Installing more lights, ceiling fans, outlets, and USB ports fall within the scope of a professional electrical technician.

  • Electrical set up and wiring
  • Improved rewiring with grounded outlets
  • Electrical panel installation, replacement, or upgrading
  • Whole home surge protection
  • Outlet installations or repairs
  • Ceiling fan installation or repairs
  • Lighting fixture installment, replacement, or repair
  • Smoke and carbon monoxide detector installations on each level of the building
  • Exhaust fan installations
  • Pool or hot tub wiring
  • Outdoor lighting features
  • Electrical safety inspections which are recommended for all new building purchases
  • All electrical maintenance and repairs
  • Managing electrical emergencies

Electrical Medical Emergencies

Electrical emergencies require prompt action. Keep utility and medical emergency telephone numbers handy.  If an electrical injury or accident does occur, call 911 for help and follow their instructions.  De-energize the circuit at the breaker panel.  Make sure you are in a safe zone – not in contact with any electrical source, away from downed or broken wires.  Never grab the person or pull the person off the current with your hands; you might become part of the circuit and become injured as well.

If trained, administer first aid or rescue breathing and/or CPR; know what to do.  If possible, take a class to prepare yourself and have first-aid supplies on hand and easily accessible.  Do not move the person in case of injury to neck or back unless they are in danger.  Keep the victim lying down, warm, and comfortable to maintain body heat until help arrives.  If the victim is unconscious, put them on their side to let fluids drain but roll them like a log and support the head.  Make sure the victim receives professional medical attention.  Remember a person shocked could have heart failure hours later.

Immediately call Mikulka Electric at 855-645-8552, if the person is in contact with a live outdoor power line.  If a power line is down near your house, don’t touch it!  Call us immediately and stay at least 20 feet away from the area.

Electrical Equipment Emergencies

Professional electrical inspections can anticipate problems and recognize signs before they become emergencies.  However, amateur installations and antiquated equipment can fail causing power loss and fires.

Lights dim, buzz, or flicker can be caused by a loose bulb that needs to be tightened or replaced.  However, it can also be because the wiring is outdated and needs upgrading.  The circuit can be overloaded, which means two circuits may be needed to carry the electrical load or the circuit may need to be replaced.

Light switches can be broken or have faulty wiring.  Light switches with improper grounding may need replacement.

Circuit breaker keeps tripping is also known as power tripping.  Malfunctions in appliances or equipment can cause the circuit breaker to trip off as a safety feature.  A loose screws or terminal connection in the outlet can cause an arc fault that will trip the circuit breaker.  If the appliance is drawing too much current, the wiring needs to be upgraded.  A short circuit occurs when a hot wire touches a neutral wire.  Modern homes need expanded circuit breaker boxes and more outlets than home build before 1980.

Dead outlets can be a single outlet or a side of a house.  Electricians can insert a probe into each dead outlet and read the line voltage measurement to isolate the problem.  A properly working outlet should have 110 to 120 volts.  The problem can be as obtuse as an attic floorboard inadvertently cutting a wire to the left side of the house.  In unfinished attics, always block off the area over the kitchen to protect the wiring.

Hot plugs cause a shock or tingling when touched.  If the plug is hot, blackened, or causes a shock or tingling when touched, unplug it.  It can be caused by faulty wiring or malfunctioning appliances.

Contact us

Hiring a professional electrician is the safest and efficient way to troubleshoot electrical issues. Mikulka Electricians are always professional and efficient.   Insured and trained to do the job right the first time. Experts in the field of electrics with over 25 years’ experience.  Prepared with up-front pricing and a lifetime guarantee.  We observe all PPE (personal protective equipment) and COVID 19 requirements in to keep our staff and your family safe.  Our team of experts will respond immediately to your call for help.  Call Mikulka Electric, Inc. for a wide range of electrical services, including indoor and outdoor lighting, electrical heating, electrical repairs, and back-up generators.  We service Central New Jersey area.  Address 275 RT. 79 Morganville, NJ 07751 Phone 855-645-8552, or 855-MIKULKA.  https://mikulka-electric.com/contact-us/